Home Owner Information
Dial Before You Dig has developed a unique partnership with most of Australia’s major infrastructure asset owners. The service offers a single point of contact to request information about the infrastructure networks at the planned excavation site, commercial or residential, without the need to contact utility organisations individually.
The service helps home owners avoid potential damages to any surrounding infrastructure asset(s) when undertaking projects, such as:
- New fencing
- Mailbox installation
Infrastructure asset(s) can be anywhere and underground assets may be closer to the surface than expected; which is why lodging a FREE Dial Before You Dig enquiry is The Essential First Step.
For more information about lodging a FREE enquiry and the steps after, review our Guide to Lodging a FREE Enquiry.
Some Useful Tips for Home Owners
- A Dial Before You Dig enquiry must be lodged at least two business days prior to starting any excavation or work site project and allow sufficient time to receive plans back from registered asset owners to locate any affected infrastructure asset.
- If you have a tradesperson working onsite, determine who will be lodging the FREE enquiry with Dial Before You Dig.
- Plan(s) DO NOT pinpoint the exact location of the infrastructure asset and only the presence. Therefore, Duty of Care must be exercised when working around any infrastructure assets.
- NEVER assume the depth or alignment of pipes and cables.
- For any excavation project, always proceed with caution and follow the 5Ps of Safe Excavation.
- Plans are intend to be indicative only and may not contain specific detail(s) within your property boundary.
- If further assistance is required, contact the infrastructure asset owners directly using the numbers provided on the plan(s).
- Consider hiring a DBYD Certified Locator or one recommended by the asset owner if you believe there are infrastructure assets within the vicinity of your project site but cannot locate them.
- Keep a record of the information and any notes you make in case damage has occurred to an infrastructure asset(s).
- Be aware asset owners may seek compensation for any damage caused to their asset, regardless if a Dial Before You Dig enquiry has been lodged. Any type of excavation around the home can cause damage(s) to surrounding infrastructure assets. Proceed with caution and follow the Duty of Care.
Click here to download the Home Owners’ Guide for Locating Underground Services.