Your Duty of Care
It's important you know what your obligations are when it comes to protecting Australia's underground networks.
- all excavators have a Duty of Care to observe with regard to underground networks when digging.
- underground network information should be sought in advance to excavation by using the free Dial Before You Dig service.
- should the scope of works change, or plan validity dates expire, you must submit a new Dial Before You Dig enquiry.
- always perform an onsite inspection for the presence of assets. Should you require an onsite location, contact the asset owners directly.
- never assume the alignment or depth of underground infrastructure.
- excavators must dig manually when excavating or working close to underground networks.
- protect underground assets if you are working in close proximity.
- if you damage an underground asset you must advise the asset owner immediately.